Resources to help families continue learning from home during the COVID-19 school closures.
Check back often for more ideas, activities and information.
Activities to Continue Learning at Home
- ALP Learning at Home Activities- Phonics Hopscotch
- ALP Learning at Home Activities- Rhyming Balls
- ALP Learning at Home Activities- Short Vowel Sounds
- Tips for Homework Success from an Occupational Therapist
- toytheater.com: A collection of interactive educational games for elementary students. They are all free and are designed to work on computers, tablets and mobiles devices.
- ALP Learning at Home Activities- Activities to Promote Handwriting Skills
- Capital Letter Formation Chart
- Lower Case Letter Formation Chart
- Number Formation Chart
- Famous Faces Activity: practice writing skills and learn about someone
Actividades para continuar aprendiendo en casa en español
Things To Do at Home
- storylineonline.net: The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s award-winning children’s literacy website, Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- cmlibrary.org/storytime: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library’s new online storytime with online videos and you can also watch Family Storytime on Facebook Live.
- storytimefromspace.com: Story Time From Space: Children’s books read by astronauts at the International Space Station, a project of Global Space Education Foundation.
- kidlit.tv: Virtual library of free book read alouds, series, videos, podcasts, art, book trailers, and activities.
- thespanishexperiment.com: The Spanish Experiments has free Spanish children’s stories, online Spanish lessons and Spanish course reviews.
Get up and move!
- Free Online Karate Lessons
- GoNoodle: fun and engaging videos to get kids up and moving, also available as an App
- Cosmic Kids Yoga: More than a million kids do yoga, mindfulness and relaxation with Jaime on the Cosmic Kids YouTube Channel.
Nature, Museums and Language
- Virtual Museum Tours
- metopera.org: The Met will stream a title from its Live in HD series each night.
- Learn a new language: duolingo.com
Art and Music
- learnincolor.com: Educational hands-on activities you can do at home.
- jarrettlerner.com: Comic book making and activity sheets
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems: Children’s author Mo Willems hosts weekday Lunch Doodles centering on his famous characters and stories.
- Dav Pilkey at Home: Get creative and have fun with favorite characters from Dog Man and Captain Underpants. New activities, exciting videos and more posted on Fridays.
- At Home with Emily Arrow: Daily online learning, music, and stories. Daily lessons with music and mindfulness.
- You Can Play That: Live music classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:00am.
- PBS Charlotte: pbscharlotte.org/educationtoolkit
- Wilson Reading System’s free resources: Wilson Reading System Free Resources.
- 6seconds.org: Information on Emotional Intelligence and strategies for social and emotional learning while at home
- Charlotte Observer article: NC teacher: In the COVID-19 classroom, less is more
Additional Local Resources for Students
- The priority of CMS is to get all teachers up and running in a remote, digital environment and ALP will support the efforts of our district. Please see this link for CMS remote supplemental learning information. Click this link for the April 6, 2020 update on CMS remote student learning.
- Read Charlotte has developed a list of online supplemental learning resources for families. This list is available at ReadCharlotte.org/KeepLearningCLT.
- For information on CMS meal distribution, click here.
- For those who would like to donate books to Promising Pages for distribution to students, please click Promising Pages.
- loavesandfishes.org: Providing groceries for neighbors in need at pantries located throughout Mecklenburg County
- secondharvestmetrolina.org: Providing a regional distribution warehouse & branches that supply food and grocery items to charitable agencies that assist people in need.
- Internet Access: Spectrum is providing free internet access to students impacted by Coronavirus who don’t already have access at home. Call 844-488-8395 to enroll.
Disclaimer: Augustine Literacy Project- Charlotte is not affiliated with the resources referenced in this document.