About Augustine Literacy Project-Charlotte:
Augustine Literacy Project® – Charlotte (ALP) is a Charlotte-based non-profit with a mission to transform the lives of under-resourced students who struggle with literacy by improving their reading, writing and spelling skills through long-term, individualized instruction from highly trained volunteer tutors. ALP pursues this mission utilizing a one-on-one tutoring methodology for students in first, second and third grades built on the research-based Orton-Gillingham approach and uses materials developed by Wilson Language Training Corporation and ALP. Augustine Literacy Project®-Charlotte’s vision is that all children have access to reading instruction that meets their individual needs and improves their opportunities to be successful in school and in life.
Prior to school closure in school year 2019-20, ALP volunteer tutors operated more than 23 Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools, serving approximately 215 students. As a response to the global pandemic, ALP developed Virtual Tutoring as part of our program; delivering virtual tutoring sessions to 188 students. ALP is committed to playing a significant role in the larger movement to bring about a reading revolution in our community.
Position Title: Virtual Tutoring Program Coordinator
Reports to: Regional Operations Manager
Position Summary: This 25-hour per week position is responsible for daily coordination and support of ALP Virtual Tutoring. Ensures coordinated effort amongst school representatives, volunteer tutors and students so that students are provided with a high quality literacy tutoring experience, in which they grow and develop greater literacy proficiency, and tutors have a rewarding experience that retains their commitment and service.
- Develop positive relationships with partner-school faculty and staff; maintain regular communication and serve as liaison between school, tutors, and ALP staff specific to virtual tutoring program
- Ongoing coordination with school staff person(s) at partner schools to assure appropriate space, time, resources and student selection to support ALP tutoring
- Create and manage volunteer virtual tutoring schedule; schedule includes tutoring sessions, in-school support of virtual tutoring
- Moderate and coordinate coverage of ALP Zoom to support virtual tutoring schedule
- Support recruitment of volunteers for virtual tutoring program
- Assist tutors with technical and/or ALP method and tutoring challenges or questions that arise
- Ongoing engagement and communication with tutors including coaching
- Observations of virtual tutoring sessions for purposes of program fidelity
- Collection of BOY and EOY ALP assessment data from tutors and Dibels scores from schools
- Support tutors in order to increase tutors’ confidence, sense of empowerment and connection to larger ALP organization
- Development and support of digital tutor resource material (i.e. resource files, tutoring materials)
- A passion for ALP’s mission, programs, culture, and values.
- Proactive and compassionate professional who values working in a fast-paced, and creative environment.
- Solid organizational skills; ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Foundational knowledge of multi-sensory methods applied to teaching elementary literacy
- Ability to swiftly gain proficiency with multiple technology tools used to manage and support virtual tutoring
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Trained on ALP Virtual Tutoring method
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with G-suite and/or Microsoft Office software a plus.
- Relevant teaching or training certifications, and completion of Orton-Gillingham training
- Experience working in education
Click here for a Job Description PDF.
Please send your resume, cover letter and professional references to email@example.com.
ALP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.